Projects and products
The work of our office spans media and methods. We take a fully integrated approach to achieving the university’s communication and marketing goals, all the way from planning through assessment.
- Consulting and planning: Strategic communication and marketing partnerships that advance institutional priorities while helping colleges, departments, and programs meet their goals.
- Iowa Now: The UI’s official, one-stop news source—find continually updated stories, photos, videos, and more from Strategic Communication and partners across campus.
- UI home page: The university’s front door on the web, showcasing content that introduces the UI to new audiences while providing information and resources for campus users. Includes regularly updated info about the university, a guide to safety and support resources, and more.
- Audience-focused communications: Email digests, print newsletters, and other products (often published under the Iowa Now banner) that connect with key constituents like faculty, staff, alumni, parents, and students.
- Social media: Primary UI accounts on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and emerging social media platforms. Also, coordination and support for social media administrators across campus.
- Merit: Vended platform for promoting student achievements, encouraging social sharing, and connecting with hometown media.
- Media relations: Proactive outreach to news organizations in pursuit of positive and balanced UI coverage. Also, responses to media queries, interview facilitation, issues management, and monitoring.
- Brand management: Key messages, visual identity systems—including the official UI logo and wordmark—editorial style, design themes and templates.
- Advertising: Placement and development of paid messages—broadcast, out-of-home, digital, print, etc.—generally to boost the university’s visibility and reputation, or to recruit students.
- Admissions marketing: Cross-unit partnership with the Office of Admissions to support undergraduate recruitment. Also, development of marketing plans and projects for select UI colleges/programs.
- Video: Short news stories, longer-form documentaries, promotional spots, live event coverage, resources for external media, and programming for the campus cable channel, UITV.
- Photo: News and marketing photography, photo stories, faculty/staff portraits, and photo archives available for campus use.
- Design: Digital and print projects, identity systems, illustration and infographics, and art direction.
- Assessment: Web/social analytics, opinion polling and market surveys, focus groups, media monitoring, and other strategies that inform reporting and planning.